The Carbon Trust
The Carbon Trust is a not for dividend company limited by guarantee created by the UK government to help businesses and public organisations to reduce their emissions of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, through improved energy efficiency and developing commercial low carbon technology. Its stated mission is to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy.
The Carbon Trust’s core activity consists of helping companies and organisations reduce carbon emissions through providing help, support and advice. The Trust estimates in its annual report 2008 that it saves UK business £1 million a day through the cost savings reducing carbon emissions brings.
The Carbon Trust also funds the development and deployment of low carbon technologies and is actively engaged in the fuel cell, wave energy, wind energy, solar energy, biomass and biofuels sectors. Unusually for a government sponsored organisation it operates venture capital funds – in this case in the early-stage low carbon technology sector.
It finances a number of loan funds – including an interest-free loan for small and medium sized enterprises for energy-efficient equipment, and a similar scheme for the public sector. In the year ending March 2007, the trust received grant income of £87 million from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Scottish Government, the National Assembly for Wales, and Invest Northern Ireland. In the Budget 2009 it was awarded a further £165 million for its two loans schemes.
In Wales and Northern Ireland, 0% business loans of £3,000 – £100,000 are available from the Carbon Trust to help organisations finance and invest in energy saving projects such as LED Relamping. UKLED arrange loans to cover the capital expenditure of your re-lamping project. You can borrow between £3,000 and £100,000 interest free to fund your re-lamping project with UKLED.
- Anticipated energy savings offset the loan repayments.
- New equipment should pay for itself and you should continue to make savings year on year
- The loans are government funded and unsecured
- A straightforward and fast application process with no arrangement fees
- You’ll receive a conditional offer within 24 hours of your application being processed
- Loans can be repaid over a period of up to 4 years
From 1 April 2011 new arrangements are in place for companies located in England and Scotland through the Carbon Trust in partnership with Siemens which will offer:
- Loans from £1000 upwards at a fixed interest rate (based on the size of the loan)
- No limit to the size of company applying for a loan
- Loans available to both the private and public sector
- Loan repayments offset by energy savings to make your project cash neutral or cash positive from day one